Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Boomers, Gen-Xers, and Millennials.

This article gives an accurate description of what it calls the “new student” in the American education system. Bringing forward many statistics, it states that student now days are unlike students from past generations. The cause of this is simply Technology. Mostly computer technology has affected these “millennials” from a young age. While developing their computer abilities to help them study, these kids also adapted a new way of communicating with one another.
Many higher education schools are now in a jam to accommodate their computer illiterate and dependent students with up-to-date technology to stay in the competition of schools.

I can totally agree with the majority of the statements made in this article. I am one of the millennials the article addresses. It is I who have been around computers for almost my entire life and it is I who have had the chance to develop these fine Internet communicating skills now needed in the world today.

With the Internet being as strong and as vast as it is today, I do believe that schools should expand and update their computers and technology equipment. It would seem foolish for a school not to invest in technological equipment because at this rate they could get left behind all together from the technological world.

I share many of the ten facts about the new students that the article gives.

I have more than one computer.
One of them is a notebook.
I sometimes can’t read my writing.

I think this was a very honest article and would be beneficial for people of the other generations to read so that they can understand the millennials a little better.

No comments: