Wednesday, April 05, 2006

3/30 Reading

Students shun for information search online & 10 reasons why the internet is no substitute for a library.


these are two articles written by people who love libraries and may have some sort of grudge against the internet due to an online gambling problem or something. Both articles state how internet-obsessed the new generation has become and that many of them are forgetting what a library is and other sources of information besides the internet. There are many people troubled by this "crisis". They state that kids wont know what information is accurate or not and that they are missing out on a lot of useful information by not using book sources.

I myself often like to choose book sources over internet sources because of these exact reasons and because I have such I hard time narrowing down my search in googol and finding something relevant. I often get frustrated not to mention distracted when using the internet. It is nice to sit in a quiet library atmosphere and flip through a book. However I do believe that these two worlds could live in harmony. As one teacher did in the CNN article make students use one internet source and one book source. Also to eliminate students using false or outdated information, the school could have a list of sites that they know are accurate and up to date for the students to use for research.

having my own website does make it a lot easier for me to spot out unreliable sources on the internet because I see how easy it would be to fabricate something like that. I think that using the internet is great because often times research can be done at home on the internet. However I think that the library is a great place to do research not only because of the environment but because of the sources. I think that people who are looking to do research should just be aware that although convenient, the internet may cause trouble and although tedious the library is reliable.

No comments: